What are some of the more popular security tools that information security professionals use?
While SecTools.org hosts what may be the most comprehensive list of security tools online, below is a short list of tools that aspiring information security professionals should download and learn.
While this isn’t a complete list by any means, any infosec job applicant who has hands-on experience using these tools will definitely have an advantage over the other applicants.
Virtual Machines (VM’s)
- BackTrack Linux, the absolutely essential VM for penetration testing
- Samurai Web Testing Framework (WTF), for web application security testing
- Santoku Linux, for mobile forensics and mobile application security testing
- Cain & Abel
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
- OWASP Mantra (start with the Firefox version)